Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Away From the Claws of the Savages


I missed my high school reunion this year.  I’m having mixed emotions about it because I wanted to go but I’d rather not. Ironic huh?
I graduated from a public school wherein I had a front row seat to the “dog-eat-dog” scenario.  It may not have been physically violent but the pressure in itself just to stay on top was exhausting for some and I guess torture to others.  I was one of the very few who didn’t have to lift a finger in order to sustain my spot. As a matter of fact my so called handlers were my teachers. Who would be more fitting to back up ones success but them?
Maybe because I had a blast in high school that’s why I have always had the urge of going back to my alma mater whenever possible.  I wanted to feel the atmosphere and reminisce the many beautiful and exciting memories I had during my teenage years.
Now, why did I not attend today’s festivities? Well, because I decided not to stress myself with classmates who never seemed to have gotten over their insecurities for two decades now.  I can’t stand those who need to make a scene in order to be noticed and belittle those who are less fortunate than them.  I despise those who take pleasure out of other people’s miseries.  I abhor being the target of inconceivable   fabrication.
I just can’t fathom such a reality.  I understand that a major factor of who I am is an output of my teenage years but as I age I expect myself to learn about life and expect that I become a better person brought about by my timely maturity.  I never patronized the fib that one would stay despicable throughout the years because each one of us have a choice. High school life may not have been a bed of roses 24/7, but such negativities in my past should never be allowed to control my being.
If asked whether I’m attending next year’s reunion or not, I am still uncertain. It may be wishful thinking to ask for bullies to reform but well nothing to lose.    If I am able to witness even an ounce of change that would be beneficial to most of us if not all, maybe then I will have the enthusiasm to participate in the celebration.  As of now, I prefer to be on the sidelines, quietly observing while enjoying a serene life, away from the claws of these savages.

No comments:

Post a Comment