Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Na'nam, A Feast of Negrense Flavors" A Window of Opportunity for Bacolod





I remembered a casual conversation with a friend about Bacolod Tourism and how it could be boosted.  It’s actually mind-boggling for me as I can see that there is only quite a limited number of tourist destination/s (I’m not sure whether to use the plural form coz I can’t think of any as of this writing…).  As far as I know, Bacolod is a liveable city and has ammenities for conventions & seminars, PERIOD. 

Chicken w/ quail Eggs Wrapped in
Tugabang Home-made Dough
Until I remembered, “Hey, idle me! Tourism is not only about beaches and high-end recreation facilities! It could also mean other things!” And thus,  it came to me that here in Bacolod, we offer superb dishes that could melt the hearts of guests from neighboring provinces and even nearby countries for that matter. Pushing a  little bit more  and Bacolod can take off as the “Adventurous and Distinctive Palate’s destination.”


Recently, I was asked by my husband Owen to check out a local cooking competition since he knows I’m really into food. Since it’s my day off, I decided to tag along. It turned out to be the newest cooking competition category initiated by The Hotel and Restaurant Association of Negros Occ (HRANO) called of "Na'nam, A Feast of Negrense Flavors".  It was no ordinary cooking “show” where we just get to see how the common chicken/pork/beef dishes are prepared.  It was challenging because the participants, consisting of not only culinary students but also catering experts,were to use local produce such as Ubad (core of a banana stalk), Takway(gabi shoots), Kadyos (pigeon pea)  and Tugabang (jute leaves),veggies that can easily be found in any market here in Bacolod.

"KBL"
"KBB"


I was amazed of how they concocted unique dishes from these rather regular vegetables.  They were able to enhance the flavor of each ingredient and my gosh, the dishes looked spectacular! It’s as if I’m sitting on a classy restaurant, a bit hesitant to try the food so as not to distort the beauty of its presentation.   



The regular KBL (Kadyos, Baboy, Langka) was greatly modified by the cooking enthusiasts. One used crispy liempo instead of the regular boiled pork. Another KBL became KBB (Kadyos, Baboy, Balagay (winged beans). There was also a one of a kind dish called Chicken w/ quail Eggs Wrapped in Tugabang Home-made Dough.  I wouldn’t have thought tugabang would be a tasty herb in bread until I tried this.  And how about the Takway with Mashed Kamoteng Kahoy in Taro/Sampaloc & Taro Kamias Bud Sauce.  It would easily beat mashed potatoes anytime!


The Participants had their taste of excitement, as they waited the result as to who will be the ones to vie for the first prize of P5,000 + Plaque. One thing I noticed though was that everyone seemed to have a good time especially the students who were there to share their creativity and culinary potentials. I guess it wasn't really the prize but most of all the camaraderie they experience with their peers as they work hand in hand in creating their respective masterpieces.  5 Finalists were chosen and will be competing on the final cooking showdown to be held at Robinson's Place Bacolod on March 5, 2PM.


Ubad Bola-Bola in Sweet & Spicy Sauce
This event has certainly opened new possibilities to Bacolod. If we can concoct a wide variety of dishes that would become Bacolod’s array of specialties (other than the famous Chicken Inasal and Piaya of course), in no time, Bacolod will be more famous not just in October for the Masskara Festival but all year round.


Two thumbs up to the organizers of this competition.  May this event be a gateway to all those who have “magical ladles” that they may share their culinary expertise and who knows? Their dishes may be the key to a brighter tourism business of the City of Smiles. Happy Thoughts. :D


2 comments:

  1. oh well...aside from the fact that i love food..i love to shoot food too...but sad to say, 'nalimtan ako ni owen imbitahon' :(((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops. Abi i-pm ko sg cp number mo cath kay ako na lang ma-text sa imo. :D

    ReplyDelete