Saturday, January 22, 2011

Point and Shoot (The Way It Should Be!)


Owen Segovia Bayog Photography held its first ever photography workshop today, Jan. 22, 2011 at the Provincial Tourism Booth, Panaad Park and Stadium.  The mentor, Owen Segovia Bayog himself, shed light in the many unanswered questions of the participants who aimed to understand more about their equipment and maximize its potential without adding a lot of other enhancing accessories.
The target of the workshop was to reach only a maximum of 10 participants to ensure that all of their inquiries will be properly addressed.  Six made it while due to other circumstances the other four were not able to do so and opted to join the 2nd wave in hope that their schedules will coincide. 

I am not a photographer, but I was there to fully support the teacher (which, fortunately, is my better half).  At first it was kind of awkward for me because I felt like an outcast, without a camera or any knowledge of what photography is all about which is actually a bit pathetic, knowing that my husband is a professional photographer.  Nevertheless, I was there.

During the whole course, I stayed at the sidelines, trying to get a glimpse of the seminar from time to time and eventually found myself engorged on the lecture.  During breaks, I would occasionally ask the participants how they found the sessions and I would hear very conservative feedbacks especially on the earlier parts. 

The ice eventually broke after lunch when they started to hold their cameras and take photos within the premise.  Some posed while others took shots and vice versa.  I saw the camaraderie among the 6 which clearly disregarded age, employment status and even the differences on their respective equipments.  They began asking more questions to their mentor and eagerly listened to his explanation.  The culminating activity was a portraiture session with 3 dashing models.  It was obvious that each one of them enjoyed.  Who says learning can’t be fun?

By the end of the workshop, I randomly asked the attendees how they found the workshop and I was so glad to hear positive responses.  Overall assessment, they learned a lot by comfortably asking questions and never once did they feel intimidated by the capacity of their mentor, nor the differences of their equipment.

However, I was in a way baffled as to why these reactions?  I carefully placed myself on one of them and I thought this should really be the case if I join a workshop, right?  I did not go into the details on their previous workshop experiences but one thing is for sure.  Owen Bayog has done his part of sharing his knowledge on photography to these individuals without making them feel belittled or ignored.  As far as I am concerned a workshop is where the participants learn and definitely not the venue for the teacher to boast his expertise.  With this, I can say that Owen has successfully complied to the necessity.

I am definitely looking forward to the next wave of participants and who knows? Maybe I’ll be one of them. 

Happy thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. i blogged about it too!! your second photo rocks. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course a! Hard core action of the photographers! What's not to like? hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete