Thursday, January 6, 2011

Nanny-TV on the Loose!!!

I am one of the many guilty working moms out there that depend on “nanny-tv” to entertain my 7 year old daughter whenever I’m out at work or busy sleeping to re-energize for my next shift.  In fairness, Cartoon Network programs such as PowerPuff Girls, Ben10, Blue and other fascinating animation series have influenced her into honing her English language skills at a very young age, I think as early as 3 years old. 
Recently, however, my attention was caught by my husband’s comment on a particular tv show aired in one of our local stations that runs immediately after the local news.  It’s a tv series revolving around a young girl who happens  to showcase her innocence by running around with probably a flower attached on her right ear and wearing a see-through summer dress of which I think was only a reality back in the 60’s.  I got curious about it because he mentioned about incest and other rather adult-descriptions that I could say did not categorize the show to be wholesome.
I got the chance to see one episode and to my dismay, it showed how the girl was nearly raped by her mom’s boyfriend, the struggle of escaping with nearly torn clothes, rushing to her mother’s side and was greeted only by the culprit that looked as if nothing happened.
I felt alarmed because this is definitely a program that is of parental-guidance in nature.  Whatever happened to the fantasy “teleseryes” such as the woman who turns wolf, or a pretty mermaid, or even the family-friendly game show?  Where did all these go? 
With such hard times nowadays, the nanny-tv concept is very convenient to parents who work hard to sustain their family’s daily needs.  In general, by 6pm people are still rushing to finish marketing and go home to prepare dinner.  Unlucky for others who commute for they have to perish the rush-hour traffic before they can reach their humble abode.  If this program is aired at this time, the children are in danger of losing their own innocence at a young age. 
I am not saying that depending on television is the best way to take care of my children but it is supposed to help me multi-task in order complete my daily responsibilities as an individual and parent. I have had hopes before that the media is a basic tool of information and is coupled with a social responsibility for the betterment of its viewers.  And I’m not saying that this has completely vanished.  This may be a temporary glitch as a result of the network’s target to earn high revenue and I am so looking forward that they see it in their conscience to move the series in a much later time, when kids are already beside their parents, or even better, if they are all fast asleep.
To us parents, be reminded that television may be a tool to help us manage our time but let’s not forget our sole responsibility of protecting our children and rearing them right.  I, for one have been back on the game of monitoring the programs that my kid watches.  I make myself available to answer her endless questions on why things are happening, like what she sees on tv.  I make sure that she is with an adult while watching tv when I’m not around.  If no one is available, I just ask her to take the afternoon siesta with me.  I give her more educational materials to keep her busy such as the traditional coloring book or even writing pads if she wants to draw or write stuff. 
My question now is, what about those who only have enough funds to provide the basic amenities to their household? How will they be able to suffice alternatives to their children in order to guide them into becoming better citizens of the future and not rapists or killers?  What assistance can they receive from entities that they patronize? 


I hope these networks will consider going back to their mission-vision and be clear of their goals so as to be responsible again on how they cater to the millions of people who bring them revenue.  It’s not all money guys, let’s go back, be on track and be of service to the Filipino people.

Photo Credits: 


2 comments:

  1. thinking about those networks makes me pffftt...hopeless. we are lucky indeed that we can provide our kids with alternative ways aside from television...when my husband imposed a no tagalog movie/teleserye for our daughter, at first i find it unfair because there are good filipino movies too right? but later on i realized, my husband is right all along...nevermind that our daughter's tagalog is worst..(e.g. test question: sino ang iyong mga magulang?" answer: "wala akong magulang"...she thought 'magulang' is older brother/sister...teacher put red question mark in her answer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your sentiments cath and I should say that we are fortunate to know better and have more time in quickly guiding our kids if they're exposed to scenarios that are not appropriate for their age. Personally, I won't mind if Cassie would get to be comfortable with Tagalog. At least, she would be honed to become a potential linguist, however, the materials available are scary. It is putting her innocence in jeopardy and without proper guidance she might get the wrong impression of how things are supposed to like. I really feel for those who hardly finds time to be with their children because of the need for them to work double time to sustain their family's needs. Who would assist them in ensuring that their kids are not losing precious values due to exposure on programs like this? A big challenge really. :(

    ReplyDelete